I made this enjoyable onion soup last week-end as starter before an enormous mussels dish, mussels mariniere. This is the perfect soup with the current weather here in Switzerland. Rainy day after rainy day, we can unfortunately see that fall is way behind us and yes this is winter. I was feeling like eating a warm soup with high calorific value.
With this soup high calorific value means a lot of calories as well. But well-balanced diet is not about eating only low-fat products. Honestly this soup will warm you enough to find the courage of going for a walk after diner.
This is a relatively easy recipe, but you might want to put your snow mask on to cut all these onions ! This is really working ! Even if you look quite stupid in your kitchen, this is a guaranteed result !
- 400 grams of onions (3 cups or 14 oz) or 3 big onions
- 60 gr. of butter (1/4 cup or 2.1 oz)
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1.4 l. of chicken stock (6 cups or 48 oz)
- 1 dl. of white wine (1/2 cup or 3.5 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 large bread slices
- 150 gr. of cheese, grated (Emmental style) (1 1/4 cups or 5.3 oz)
- Finely chopped onions. [br][br]
- [img src=”http://www.frenchgirlcuisine.com/wp-content/uploads/sliced-onions-on-blue-table.jpg” width=”700″ height=”467″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”French onion soup recipe” alt=”French onion soup recipe”]
- Melt butter in a large casserole dish. Add onions and cook on low heat until onions became translucent. Monitor cooking process.
- Add flour, mix and brown for 2 minutes. Pour chicken stock and white wine. Peel and press garlic. Add pepper. Cover and leave to cook for 20 minutes. Reserve.[br][br]
- [img src=”http://www.frenchgirlcuisine.com/wp-content/uploads/sliced-onions-cooking.jpg” width=”700″ height=”467″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”French onion soup recipe” alt=”French onion soup recipe”]
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F) 20 minutes before serving. Toast bread slices. Add bread at the bottom of single oven dishes, like this little red one I used. Pour some onion soup on top of bread slices. Add grated cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes until cheese melt.
- Serve immediately.
Thank you very much for reading. Register to the newsletter or follow me on social media to get the latest recipes of a French girl “cuisine”. Check out other traditional French recipes by visiting the recipe index.