On this French cooking blog, I am mainly sharing French recipes. But from time to time, I also like to cook foreign recipes. Our neighboors are part of French cooking history as well and we eat a lot of them in the hexagone.
I live in Switzerland since 2008 as a result this is natural for me to share with you this delicious Swiss cheese crust. Fast and easy to bake, you will feel transported in the middle of the Swiss mountains for few minutes.
The ingredients depend on what you like. Main ones are bread, Swiss cheese, garlic, white wine and pepper. Then pick your ingredients depending on your mood and tastes. Ham, tomatoes, onions or even a fried egg.
I also like to make Swiss cheese crust with different kind of cheese. Swiss cheese coming from Val de Bagne is my favourite. Try many combination and you will find the one you like the most.
Swiss cheese crust
- 4 slices bread
- 2 slices ham
- 200 gr Swiss cheese type raclette (7.14 oz.)
- 1 tomato
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 2 cl white wine 0.8 cup or 6.66 oz.
- 1 tablespoon kirsch
- 2 pickles
- 2 little onions
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Dice garlic after removing the green sprout.
- Slice tomato.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Put bread slices in two little individual pie plates.
- Add pepper and a bit of white wine.
- Spread tomato, onions and garlic into the two plates.
- Add 1 ham slice per plate and cover with cheese.
- If you like it you can add also a little bit of kirsch on the top for the taste.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and au gratin.
- Serve it warm and add at the last moment pickles and onions.
- You can also add a fried egg on the top of each crust that you cook separately.