Once I went to this restaurant in the city center of Lausanne. They were making all you can eat prawns. One of our friends is vegetarian and this was a place where we could be sure he would find something he liked. Unfortunately I heard last week-end that this restaurant is definitely closed. So sad … Their prawns were so delicious that I decided two years ago to repeat the recipe at my place. I had only my memories to bring back this delicious dish alive.
I made a prawn bisque first and added some garlic (a lot …). I used white wine for the bisque and then added some tomato concentrate to retrieve not only the taste but colour as well. I cooked this recipe as well last week-end and serve it with French fries. To make it healthier, you can also prepare some rice. We usually drink white wine in France with fish and other kind of seafood; but I find that red wine perfectly match with prawns. So we had red instead of white…
Prawns with garlic sauce
- 2 celery branches
- 1 bunch parsley
- 5 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1 kg prawns 35 oz. or 2.2 lb.
- 7 dl water 3 cups
- 3 dl white wine 1 1/3 cup
- 2 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1 tsp Espelette pepper
- Wash and chop celery and parsley. Peel and chop garlic. Fry celery, parsley, garlic and 2 prawns. Leave to cook until prawns turn into pink.
- Peel prawns and reserve head, carapace and flesh. Put in your pan together with celery, parsley and garlic. Add water, white wine, tomato concentrate, Espelette pepper, salt and pepper.
- Leave to cook for 30 minutes on low heat, mix, sieve and reserve.
- Fry your prawns in a non-sticky pan until they turn pink. coat with sauce and serve.