Years ago, when I was still traveling a lot and dreamed of living in a faraway land … I told myself that the things I would miss the most when leaving France would undoubtedly be the pastries and the puff pastry.
Because even in China, I easily found blue cheese. Thanks to the Carrefour brand for being established in Beijing :).
In short, I trained, trained, and finally it is not that difficult nor that long to make puff pastry. And in this blog post, I’m going to share all of my hiccups with you so you don’t make the same mistakes! Let’s go to the puff pastry recipe.
And for those who don’t have the courage to take the plunge, then you can try the recipe for my quick and easy puff pastry. She’s also not bad either.
How to make good puff pastry?
To make your homemade puff pastry, you will need no surprises in flour, butter, salt and water. And a little elbow grease.
The amount of butter in each recipe that you can find varies greatly. It can be equal to that of flour or else represent only a third of its weight. Between these two extremes everything is allowed!
Some people take the butter out at room temperature before starting, others flatten it with a rolling pin on their countertop, others uses cold butter. To each his own method.
Jump to recipe !
Homemade puff pastry recipe
- 400 gr flour
- 200 gr butter cold
- 5 gr fine salt
- 2 dl water
- Mix the flour, salt and water with the help of a food processor until a smooth and even dough is obtained.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough on a floured work surface in a long rectangle about 0.5 cm thick.
- Cut the butter into thin slices and put it in the middle away from the edges
- Fold the dough into a wallet, i.e. fold the top of the rectangle of dough to cover ⅔ with the butter and then cover with the bottom of the rectangle
- Seal the edges tightly to the side so that the butter does not escape.
- If you have worked the dough quickly and it is still quite firm, you can already go to the next step, otherwise it is better to wait and put your dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before working it.
- Turn the dough 90 °, then roll out the dough again, lengthening it to make a long rectangle. Fold in 3 like a towel or a wallet. This operation is called a tour.
- Wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll out lengthwise to make a rectangle about a centimeter thick. Fold in three. Turn 90 °. Repeat the operation, ie spreading lengthwise. Fold in three. Repeat the operation one last time.
- Cover with your cling film and place in the fridge for one hour.
- Take out the dough. Roll lengthwise to make a rectangle about a centimeter thick. Fold in three. Turn 90 °. Repeat the operation, ie spreading lengthwise. Fold in three. Repeat the operation one last time.
Here it is ready. You can keep it in the fridge for your next preparation.
The tips of a French girl cuisine
As usual, here is a series of tips to not only succeed in your dough but also to preserve it.
- The more turns you make, the lighter your dough will be.
- If your dough becomes too soft, it is important to let it rest in a cool place before working the dough.
- If the butter comes out of your dough, well it is not inevitable, put it in the fridge, re-flour your work surface and continue. We will not let ourselves be defeated :).
- The faster you work, the less time the dough will have to heat up and it will be easier to work with.
- You can freeze your dough so you always have puff pastry on hand. You can freeze it in a block, or in a roll of puff pastry placed in parchment paper, ready to bake. No need to go to the grocery store anymore!
What recipes with puff pastry?
You surely know hundreds of recipes made with puff pastry, but I will still take the time to list some of them:
- The galettes des rois with my classic galette des rois and that with apples
- The Auvergne pump
- And of course the sweet and savory pies
- Or why not some good apple turnovers, yum!