Frozen vacherin is my favourite dessert. For those who might not know, this is a frozen dessert made of meringue, sorbet (usually strawberry) an covered with frozen chantilly. I have always been a big fan of meringue and sorbet so you can imagine how much I love it ! I would never thank enough Hélène of Rock the Bretzel blog to allow me to make this frozen mandarin vacherin recipe participating to the new edition of the Bataille food. If you want to know more about the challenge and the participants, please read the French version of this post.
As I already said several times, this is my favourite dessert of all time, but I had no idea from where it comes from. As a result I was astonished when I saw it written in the menu of all restaurants I have been to in Lyon during a romantic dinner with my husband for my birthday ! Always home-made ! So yes, frozen vacherin comes definitely from Lyon !
I loved this city before knowing that but now … I love it even more.
Frozen mandarin vacherin recipe
- 4 white eggs
- 200 gr. of sugar
- few drops of lemon juice
- 2 kg. of mandarin
- 2 tablespoons of cointreau
- 300 gr. of sugar
- 5 dl. of liquid cream 30%
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- pastry bag
- fluted tip
- pastry circle
- ice cream maker
- Preheat oven to 90°C.
- Beat white eggs until foamy. Add sugar little by little while mixing and finish using the maximal speed of your mixer.
- Fill in pastry bag and make a meringue circle on a baking try cover with baking paper.
- Bake for 2h to 2h30. Leave to cool.
- Juice mandarin to get approximately 700 ml. of mandarin juice.
- Add cointreau, 300 gr. of sugar. Pour in your ice cream maker and wait till frozen.
- Place meringue in the pastry circle, cover with mandarin sorbet and put in your freezer.
- Whip the cream until thick. Add sugar at the end while whipping. Fill in pastry bag.
- Remove vacherin from freezer. Decorate using chantilly and put in your freezer until serving.