I always dreamed about baking at least once a crusted filet mignon. In Switzerland, this is the meal, you know. The delicious dinner you make only for very special occasion; so I had to adapt !
This recipe is coming from one of the famous books of Betty Bossi : “La viande”. Here, Betti Bossi is THE reference when you speak about cooking and as a result, I already had the chance to eat the same crusted filet mignon at a friend’s house few months ago. Delicious, but a bit too much lemon for my taste. So I added some small changes to the recipe; but I did my best to stick to it as much as I can.
I associated this crusted filet mignon together with a carrot purée. This recipe will be perfect for Christmas !
Crusted filet mignon recipe
- 1 Pork filet mignon 400 gr. or 1/2 lb.
- 1 dash cooking oil
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp Herbe de provence
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 rectangular puff pastry 42*25 cm (16.5 *10 inches)
- 12 bacon slices 120 gr. or 4.3 oz.
- 150 gr pork sausage meat 5.4 oz.
- 50 gr hacked ham 1.8 oz.
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp of kirsch
- 1 egg white
- 1 egg yolk
- Heat up a non-sticky pan on medium heat with a dash of oil. Brown filet mignon and reserve.
- Mix grainy mustard, Herbe de provence and salt.
- Spread mixture on filet mignon and leave to cool.
- Unroll puff pastry. Reserve just a little bit for the decoration and cover the middle with bacon slices.
- Mix pork sausage meat with hacked ham, flat parsley, lemon zest and kirsch. Spread half of this mixture on top of the bacon slices. Cover with filet mignon and spread the rest of the mixture on pork filet. Roll bacon slices around filet.
- Brush the edges of puff pastry with beaten egg white. Wrap filet mignon. Decorate filet with puff pastry left over. Use egg white to stick decorations.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water. Brush pastry and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.