This recipe is definitely an original stew. I told you before; but stews are my favourite recipes when I have guests coming over. Everything is ready before anyone is coming, easy. Then you got plenty of time to spend with your friends during aperitif. If somebody is late, doesn’t matter. A stew can cook 30 minutes more usually. That’s even better. This is also a dish that you can prepare one day before. It will taste even better. I served this stew together with a potatoes purée. Make a puit in the center of mashed potatoes and fill it with some stew sauce. Your children will love it! And you too!
I found this recipe on SAVEURS, hors serie n°17, winter 2014 by Audrey Cosson. Delicious!
Braised beef cheeks recipe with sweet potatoes and quinces
- 1 kg beef checks 2 checks or 2.2 pounds
- 40 gr butter 1.42 oz
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 branch of celery
- 1 tbsp flour
- 50 cl red wine 2 cups or 1.7 oz
- 50 cl chicken bouillon 2 cups or 1.7 oz
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tsp caraway
- 700 gr sweet potatoes 1.54 pounds
- 1 tbsp quince jam
- Peel and cut onions in 4 parts. Stud onions with cloves. Peel garlic. Peel and slice carrots and celery. Reserve.
- Melt butter on a large casserole dish on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown beef checks on both face. Remove and reserve.
- Sauté onions, garlic, carrots and celery for 8 minutes. Add beef checks. Coat ingredients with flour and add red wine. Scrape bottom using a wood spatula. Bring to a boil and reduce quantity by half.
- Add chicken bouillon, caraway, bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Leave to cook for 3 hours on low heat.
- Peel, slice and wash sweet potatoes.
- Add sweet potatoes and quince. Leave to cook for another hour.
- Remove bouquet garni and serve.