And that’s it … It’s done! My little girl just got one year. I can not believe how fast happened. The first months seem long and then the time flies … All I know is that I am lucky to have her and that I love her with all my heart. So to show Julie a tiny little part of all this love, I thought what could be nicer than a unicorn birthday cake. Come on, let’s do cake design!
It is not so difficult if you are well organized, so we gather the material and we start!
For the unicorn, I followed this tutorial really well explained even if mine has a few extra pounds! hehehe! Sorry the tutorial is in French guys but google translate is a wonderful tool!
Unicorn birthday cake - cake design
- Chiffon cake
- 210 gr. white flour
- 180 gr. sugar
- 1 sachet of baking powder 15 gr.
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 6 eggs
- 140 ml. grape seed oil
- 130 ml. orange juice
- a little butter for the mold
- parchment paper
- Mold of 20 cm. diameter
- 80 gr. soft butter
- 70 gr. icing sugar
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 kg. white sugar paste
- 250 gr. light pink sugar paste
- 250 gr. pink fuchsia sugar paste
- 1 black food pen
- 1 pen / golden brush
- food glue
- hearts flowers and butterflies
- rolling pin
- pizza roulette
- cardboard base for the cake
- icing sugar
- Prepare the sugar cake decorations well in advance because it takes time and it keeps very well in an airtight box.
- Sprinkle your work surface with icing sugar.
- Spread the pink sugar paste on your worktop and use the cookie cutter for your butterflies, hearts, ....
- Let them air dry for 24 hours then put in an airtight container.
- To realize your unicorn I let you follow this tutorial: https://blog.feeriecake.fr/tutoriel-modelage-licorne/
- Preheat your oven to 180 ° C. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl.
- Separate the white from the yellows.
- Whip the egg yolks, the fruit juice, the grape seed oil.
- Add the mixture with the flour and mix quickly until you obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Beat the egg whites and incorporate them into this mixture.
- Butter your mold 20 cm. Pour the dough and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes.
- Unmold and let cool on a cake rack.
- Pack in food film and place in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the butter cream by mixing the soft butter, the icing sugar and the vanilla extract with the robot.
- Unpack the cake
- Spread butter cream on the sides and top.
- Repack in food film and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before covering with sugar paste.
- Take the cake out of the fridge.
- On 2 sheets of parchment paper, sprinkle with icing sugar and spread a piece of sugar paste large enough to cover the cake.
- Place the cake in the center. Put your hand under the parchment paper and turn everything over so that the sugar paste is on the top of the cake. Take off carefully the parchment paper. Stretch the sugar dough a little to cover the edges of the cake and smooth with the straightener then cut the excess dough with the pizza wheel. Place your unicorn in the center of the cake after applying food glue, then place your decorations trying to hide the unsightly elements that may have appeared during the work of laying the sugar paste. It is also possible to add a ribbon made of pink sugar paste at the base of the cake as in the photos.