By dint of baking bread and trying bun recipes, I ended up finding the best recipe ever for my little one who was struggling to eat spelt flour buns. A perfectly soft burger bun so that hers little teeth can easily bite into it.
A long but easy recipe
Of course making your own buns is time consuming but that is one of the best time investments in the world. Nothing is better than making a homemade burger when the burgers bread is also homemade. And despite what you might think, this is an easy recipe!
I prepare them ahead of time, cut them in half and freeze them. Just to always have some on hand and especially not to have to prepare everything on D-Day. Because if you want to do everything yourself, well, that’s the time to buy.
I garnish the buns for my homemade hamburgers with beef hamburger, pulled pork or even homemade vegetarian steaks accompanied by potato fries, sweet potatoes, etc …
Making bun is as easy as baking hot dog bun in fact !
To make bun, you do not need to have a bread machine, but it is helpful to have a food processor.
In love with burgers
Burger and me have been tight with love since my childhood. My parents are splitted up for as long as I can remember and when I was going to my dad, he was always taking me to fast food to eat hamburgers. Since then, I am a big fan, that’s it !
Let’s go with the recipe.
Extra soft hamburger buns or buns
- 500 gr flour bread flour
- 7 gr salt
- 25 gr sugar
- 1 egg
- 200 ml water
- 60 ml milk
- 20 gr fresh yeast
- 30 gr soft butter diced
- 1 egg yolk
- sesame or poppy seeds
- Mix the flour with the salt and sugar.
- Add an egg.
- Mix the milk and water that has cooled slightly or at room temperature, no more than 30 ° C otherwise it will kill the yeast. Add the yeast and let it dissolve.
- Knead the dough with a dough hook in a food processor or by hand in a large bowl until you obtain a smooth dough.
- Gradually add the butter at the end.
- Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 2 hours to double in size.
- Flour your work surface and pour the dough.
- Divide the dough into 9 equal parts.
- Shape balls.
- Place on a sheet of baking sheet well spaced because the buns will inflate.
- Cover with a cloth.
- Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Mix the egg yolk with 1 tbsp. of water.
- Apply to buns with a brush.
- Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes till golden brown.
A series of tips for the best burger buns
To make a good burger bun, you don’t just have to mix the flour, the yeast,… just like that. It is best to dissolve fresh or dry yeast in a mixture of warm water and milk first, but not too hot so as not to kill the yeasts.
No more than 30 ° C. Usually I boil the water at 40 ° C in my kettle and then add the cold milk. So no need to take out my kitchen thermometer. The advantage of having a kettle with multiple temperatures.
(Not bad also for Julie’s bottles when she was little if ever)
I use fresh yeast but you can also use instant yeast if you can’t find fresh in your supermarket.
As I wrote above, I cut the burger buns in half and put them in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer. I take them out approximately 1 hour before. It should be enough. I preheat my oven to 200°C and place them for 5 min with the cheese on the top so it melt before making the burger and placing the meet inside the bun.