A gigantic folk ball takes place every year in the center of France next to Moulins. I love folk dancing and attend regularly this event since many years. I went so many time that I cannot remember how many. Two thousand persons are exclusively coming to dance during 10 days. This is a huge organisation. You camp and can either cook yourself or buy meals directly onsite. One of the main dishes served on this festival is this delicious potatoes pie. Mainly baked in this region, they serve it associated with a slice of cured ham for example or one egg if you are vegetarian.
I always wanted to bake one, I got the chance last week and it was a great success. This is the perfect dish for vegetarian and associated with a green salad, it can be serve as a main course.
French traditional potatoes pie
- 700 gr. of potatoes 1.5 lb
- 2 puff pastries
- 2 fresh onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250 ml. of thick cream 8.3 oz. or 1 cup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of ciselled fresh parsley
- espelette pepper
- Peel and slice the potatoes finely with a mandolin. Wash the sliced potatoes. Wash and slice fresh onions with the mandolin as well.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, fresh onions, parsley, espelette pepper, salt and pepper. Peel and press garlic cloves on top. Mix with a spatula.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Put the first puff pastry in an oven dish. Prick pastry with fork. Put potatoes in oven dish. Cover with the other pastry base. Design lines with a knife. Mix one egg with two tablespoons of water. Spread on top of the pie with a brush.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Low the heat to 180°C (350°F). Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the top of the pie using a knife. Spread the thick cream. Sprinkle with espelette pepper and cover again. It is tastier warm but you can also serve it cold.
Thank you very much for reading. Register to the newsletter or follow me on social media to receive the latest recipes of a French girl “cuisine”.