Two days before Christmas, we were waiting for my family with my boyfriend…
We flew to Nantes for the end-of-year celebrations. We rented a flat in the city center with my mother, brother and sister. Our plane was landing early afternoon, but the one of my family only around 7.00 pm. As a result, we told my mum that we would take care of dinner.
Surprisingly, we were taking the same flight than the son of the landlady and she was kind enough to pick all of us at the airport. Arriving at the apartment, we took the keys and went directly shopping. Thanks god, we found some beef stew meat. The flight of my family had one hour delay, so that’s was definitely a good idea to make a braised beef carrot. If you leave it to cook one hour longer, that’s even tastier.
Braised Beef Carrot Recipe
- 1 kg beef stew meat 2.2 lb.
- 200 gr fat smoked bacon 7.14 oz.
- 8 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 dl white wine 10 oz.
- 6 dl water 20 oz.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 thyme branch
- Cut beef stew meat in little blocks, if not already done. Peel and slice garlic after removing the green sprout. Peel and slice onions. Slice finely the fat smoked bacon. Add bacon, onions and garlic in a nonsticky pan and brown on medium heat. Reserve.
- Brown beef stew meat on each side on medium heat. Add bacon, onions, garlic, white wine, water, bay, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper (or all the ingredients except carrots!). Cover and leave to cook on low heat for 1 h 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and cut carrots in the form of small sticks. Extend the cooking time for 1 hour.
You can serve this dish with home-made mashed potatoes.